Thursday, November 1, 2012

IM 70.3 Port Macquarie: 4:30:24 (43rd overall, 11th in AG)

I had 3 key goals on Sunday and I just about hit them all.

Goal 1- a good swim
I wanted to put down a performance that reflected all the effort I've put into swimming over the last 3 months. The wave starts helped along with some excellent navigation advice from my swim coach, Spot Anderson. It was a one lap out and back course and I put the hammer down on the way back, taking a really tight left line. Spot had told me I'd be all on my own, but clearly I made the right choice as I put a few hundred metres into the guys with me at the turn. Home in 30:21, not earth shattering, but kept me in the hunt.

Goal 2 - sub 80min run
I ran 80:34, so not far off my goal. I spent the whole run weaving in and out since I was in the last wave in the swim. Not too much difficulty, only a few parts where I started to feel my hamstrings tug a bit so I had to cut the stride and slow a little. I couldn't capture the whole run on my Garmin, but the data shows I did the last km in 3:34!

Goal 3 - sub 4:30 overall
Only 24secs off the goal (and it was a stretch target). It was a 7 min pb, so can't ask much more. There are a few mins still to gain on each leg, but particularly the ride. At 2:37, I think I could have gone quicker. That said, the bike course isn't easy and I was disadvantaged going out in the last wave as the wind always picks up later in the day riding towards Lake Cathie. The power meter was a good purchase as I was able to measure my effort into the wind.

I think I'm on track for IM WA. A couple of medium weeks, followed by two final hard weeks will get me to the taper. I'm racing my first Olympic distance triathlon at Huskison this Sunday. A low key race with nothing to lose, I plan to totally smash myself on the bike and try and hang on in the run!

No comments:

Post a Comment